Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Universe

As I was out on my evening jog, I couldn't help but look up at the stars and remember the slideshow John presented the class earlier today. What I find most interesting (among thousands of other interesting tidbits regarding the Universe) is the notion of Earth being here - inhabited by thousands of different species. The perfect conditions that created Earth and eventually created humans are just astounding - and with the number of other galaxies found in the Universe, it is only natural that there are other, living beings among them. Given the vastness of it all, it dawned on me that there is a great chance that we will never meet any of them. The technology that is necessary to travel to distant planets is so advanced that I fear humans will cease to exist before they ever begin to reach the nearest planets outside our Solar System - let alone any other Solar System!

Although the idea of it all may make some feel insignificant, I appreciate simply being alive and experiencing life as I know it. Although what we, as humans, do within our ozone layer is irrelevant to anything else outside our atmosphere, I feel the motivation to do the best I possibly can with what I am given and make my mark on this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment