Monday, February 22, 2010

Reflection on Nathan Lewis' Presentation

After watching Nathan Lewis' presentation, I am surprised at how frank and direct Mr Lewis' facts were. I was really interested in how he presented his facts and opinions. The following bullet points highlight key points he made that caught my attention:

- The fact that there is plenty of renewable fossil oil in the world. 2/3 of the world's oil is untapped and the reason we have yet to tap into those two-third's is because it doesn't make economic sense

- Renewable energy will not play a large role in primary power generation. While renewable energy can help reduce the demand for large power generation, it doesn't quite contribute to generating that power enough to make a large difference. This caught me off guard because of how instilled it is into our population to be environmentally cautious and the notion that renewable energy is the way to go is always emphasized. It seems as though we have been paying attention to the wrong energy source.

- Without energy, all other world issues can't be resolved. Doesn't every supporter of each major issue say this in respect to their research?

All in all, his research and data proves invaluable to those that will be researching energy for their Senior Project. That being said, all topics could pull excerpts from his transcript to support their respective research papers. Because my research paper is in regards population, it is easy to take his data of how much consumption will be needed by 2050 and use it as a con for having a large human population.

The more I continue to read and research (prior to writing this blog I wrote out my outline for my research paper) the more excited I am to write this research paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment